Kestrel Family Nest
Hello! I am Sharon, the Kestrel Family Nest Coordinator/ Lead Thrive Practitioner at Kestrel House School. I have been working on engaging with families and doing joined up work with the families and school. I have completed home visits with individual families and liaised with their local councils and social workers in order to get the families the support that they need.
- Thrive approach.
- Collaboration with the Well-Being Team to deliver PECs, Makaton and Thrive to all families.
- Fundraising events throughout the year.
- Referrals to CAMHS, Social Services and Housing Services.
- Families have been supported through home visits, phone calls and meetings in school.
- I have also explored options within the community in order to source resources for the children at school e.g. bikes, scooters and toys.
I have been working with our Speech and Language Therapist and we held a Kestrel Family Nest PECs event where families learnt how to use the communication system that the children use at Kestrel House School. We sent PECs visuals home for each family to enable communication with their child.
Olivia and Sharon are demonstrating how to use PECs.
Families in the above pictures are practicing using PECs to communicate.
Kestrel Family Nest showing off our communication resources.
Working with Families
At Kestrel House School a key aim is to offer our parents ongoing support and advice. Kestrel House School staff operate an ‘open door’ policy so that parents can phone the school and/or make an appointment to visit the school whenever they need to.
Parents have access to the specialist advice and knowledge of the staff. Ongoing training and support sessions are available to all parents/family members.
Parents are encouraged to:
- Be closely involved in the setting of targets for their children.
- Attend Parent’s Evenings and their child’s Annual Review.
- Contact their child’s teacher through a home & school liaison book or via the school phone and email
Family Liaison Officer
As a Family Liaison Officer I have an extensive knowledge in the field of Autism as well as the services and programmes that is available through Options Autism. I operate in close partnership with our current and prospective parents, Local Authorities, a network of Parent support groups as well as all Options Autism schools and residential settings.
My knowledge and experience comes from years of teaching, both in special and mainstream settings from Nursery age through to Primary and Secondary age. I have done work in care provisions specialising in Autism, transition work as well as advising and setting up home based educational programmes.
As Family Liaison Officer I can offer you support and guidance on:
- Our Admissions Process
- Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunals
- Funding and Signposting of Support groups
If you would like to contact me you can send an email to the school admin email with an FAO for Sharon.